Houston is a city in the United States of America located in the rich state of Texas. Houston is the economic hub of Texas and one of the most important cities in the United States by all measures. It is a fun city and symbolizes what being an American is all about.
Here are 11 really cool and interesting facts about the city of Houston.
1. The city was named after Sam Houston (1859 – 1861), an American soldier and politician who served as the first and third president of the Republic (State) of Texas.
2. Even though Houston was named after Sam, it was founded after by two business guys; Augustus Chapman Allen and John Kirby Allen.
3. Houston is the largest city in the state of Texas, and the fourth largest in the United States. It is a major city.
4. The city was incorporated on June 5, 1837.
5. It has an estimated population of around 2,350,000.
6. Houston was the very first word uttered by Neil Armstrong when he arrived on the moon.
8. With about 54 medicine based facilities, the Texas Medical Center in Houston is one of the best in the world and the staff are absolutely incredible. Over 7 million people visit the center every year.
9. Houston has more than 10,000 restaurants, making it one of the best culinary scenes in the entire country.
10. The Houston Galleria is the largest city mall in Houston, and the 9th largest mall in the United States. This thing is huge.
11. The Houston Rodeo is the largest rodeo show in the world.