The city of brotherly love – Philadelphia is home to American history. It is older than the founding of the US as you can see below. Entertainment, art, movies, and so much more – you will find them all in the city of Philadelphia. It’s a great sports town, the people here are mentally tough and have a lot of pride. The city is full of culture, history and heritage. It is one of the most beautiful city in the US and a city lot of many firsts.
1. Philadelphia is the largest city in the state of Pennsylvania, with a population of over 1.5 million people.
2. It is the 6th largest city in the US.
3. The city was founded in 1682.
4. Lots of nicknames: Philly, The City of Brotherly Love, The Birthplace of America, The City that Loves you Back, The City of Neighborhoods, The Quaker City, and The Cradle of Liberty.
5. The first electronic computer in 1946 was in Philadelphia.
6. The city the the most expansive park systems in the country with over 9,200 acres of park space.
7. Philadelphia’s City Hall is the biggest municipal building in the US.
8. Philadelphia is home to a lot of doctors! It is estimated that one in six doctors in the US trained in the city.
9. It is home to the NBA’s Sixers, the Eagles (NFL) and many other sports teams – amateur and professional levels.
10. The first medical school was in Philly.
11. Home to the first American piano – 1775.
12. Located in Philly and founded in 1787, Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first church for African American people. Its still active today.
13. Philadelphia is the Art center of the US, art is very important here. All over the city, there are over 2000 outdoor murals.
14. The first Zoo in the US was in Philadelphia.
15. The city used to have an eating content every year before the Super Bowl (final one was held on February 2/2018). It was called the Wing Bowl, and it attracted over 20,000 people. The idea came from the Super Bowl.
16. The city is where America’s first birthday of independence was celebrated.
17. The Philadelphia mint is a cool place to visit for anyone who loves coins and is a collector of coins. It produces millions of coins every year.
18. Philly has the second highest numbers of Italians and Irish people in the United States after only New York City.