Chicago is a big beautiful city of many firsts. It is a world renowned city that attracts millions of visitors per year, one of America’s great cities. We hope you learn some things through these cool and interesting facts about Chicago.
18 Very Cool And Interesting Facts About Chicago
1. Chicago is a huge city, it is the third largest city in the United States behind New York City, and Los Angeles.
2. The Willis Tower is so tall that from the very top you can see 3 different states from the distance: Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
3. The city has more railroad than any other city in the United States with over 1300 trains.
4. Chicago has a population of around 2.7 million people. It officially became a city in 1833.
5. Willis Tower is the second tallest building in the Western Hemisphere behind the One World Trade Center in NYC.
6. Chicago is the largest city in the state of Illinois.
7. McDonald’s opened their first restaurant in Chicago.
8. Chicago is big and beautiful but it gets really cold in the winter and the city receives a lot of snow.
9. The Great Chicago Fire that burnt down a huge section of the city in 1871 killed about 300 people, and burnt about 3.3 square miles of the city.
10. The Chicago River is the coolest river in the world for this reason: it is the only river in the world that flows backwards.
11. Chicago is known by several nicknames: the Windy City, Chitown, the City that Works among others.
12. Chitown loves hot dogs! The city has over 2000 hot dog stands.
13. The city receives a ton of visitors, well over 45 million per year.
14. Chicago has the 2nd largest police force in the US.
15. Chicago invented skyscrapers among many other cool things such as the remote control, pinball, softball, zippers and more.
16. Chicago is one of the most expensive cities in the US.
17. The first presidential debate happened in Chicago, Sep 26, 1960.
18. Chicago has a very population of Polish and Serbians, as well some Eastern Europeans.