The United States of America is the most popular country in the world. The most hated. The most loved and everything in between. Everyone and their dog knows about the US for a variety of reasons, some good, some not so good. But the main reason is; the United States is only superpower in the world and has been the “leader of the free world” for decades now. When the United States speaks, everyone listens.
Here are 25 Interesting, and cool facts about the United States of America.
1. The United States officially became an independent country from Great Britain on July 4, 1776.
2. The founding fathers of the United States didn’t create the constitution of scratch. They copied the constitution of the Iroquois confederacy of Native American tribes.
3. It is the 3rd largest country in the world behind Russia and Canada.
4. It is located in North America and borders Canada to the North and Mexico to the South.
5. The first President of the US is George Washington.
6. The flag of the United States has the following colors: red, white and blue. It has has 50 stars, and each star represents a State; 50 stars for 50 States.
7. The flag was designed in 1958 by then 17-year old Robert Heff.
8. The United States has a population of just over 327 million people, making it the third most populous country in the world behind China and India.
9. The capital city of the United States is Washington D.C.
10. New York City was the first capital city of the United States before Washington D.C.
11. The internet was invented by the United States.
12. The The Global Positioning System or GPS is owned and maintained by the US Air Force. They can turn it off as they please.
13. The US is a founding member of NATO, The United Nations, The International Monetary Fund (IMF), and other international organizations.
14. The US has the most powerful Armed Forces in the world. In other words, the strongest military.
15. The United States is made up of 50 States, a federal district, 5 territories and other islands.
16. Alaska is the largest State. It was purchased from Russia in 1867.
17. The State of Hawaii is the only State made of islands.
18. The country’s official Motto is “In God We Trust.”
19. The anthem has a named: “The Star Spangled Banner.”
20. The largest city is New York City.
21. The United Nations has it’s headquarters in New York City.
22. Official language: The United States does not have an official language at the federal level. But the national language across all states is English. Spanish is the second most spoken.
23. The United States of America is often times referred to as; the US, the States, the United States or simply America.
24. The United States has the largest economy in the world at 20 Trillion Dollars. Thus, it is the most powerful and richest country in the world.
25. Located in the State of Alaska, Mount Denali (Mount McKinley) is the tallest Mountain in North America. It is over 20,000 feet.
26. The country’s currency is the US Dollar. The US Dollar is the World’s Reserve Currency; meaning it is the most trusted and important currency in the world. It is not the most valuable (example, the British Pound is worth more) but the US Dollar is the most powerful.
27. The United States of America has the most ethnically diverse population in the world. More people immigrant to the United States than any other country in the world.
28. American Neil Armstrong, was the first man to walk on the Moon. This happened on July 21, 1969. The US is also the first country to reach the Moon.
29. The most popular sport in the United States is “American” Football.
30. The United States is the first nation to develop nuclear weapons.
31. A bit of a fun fact: At 6.4 feet, Abraham Lincoln was the tallest president in American history. Yes, taller than Donald Trump (6.3 feet).