Located in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, the Nets are a professional basketball team that plays in the National Basketball Association's (NBA) Eastern Conference, in the Atlantic Division.
The Boston Celtics are an American professional basketball team, and they are also one of the most well-known franchises in the NBA. If you're a fan of the sport, it's likely that you've heard about this team before, as they've been around for quite some time. They currently play their home games at TD Garden in Boston and compete in the Atlantic Division (along with Toronto Raptors, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Philadelphia 76ers) within the East Conference.
The entire city of Boston is one of the greatest sports cities in the world with the Boston Celtics leading the way.
In this article, we're going to take a look at some interesting facts about the Boston Celtics, so if you're curious to learn more about them, then you should definitely read on.
1. The Boston Celtics were founded in 1946.
2. The majority owner of the team is Wyc Grousbeck. Wyc and his group purchased the Boston Celtics for $360 million in 2002. Today, the team is worth an estimated $3.2 billion dollars USD.
3. The Boston Celtics first game was played back in 1946, against the Providence Steamrollers in a losing effort 53 - 59.
4. The team has helped develop many future NBA stars, including Larry Bird, who is one of their most well-known players to date. The Celtics won their first championship in 1957 - led by the legendary Bill Russell and hall of Famer coach Red Auerbach.
5. The list of Celtics players that have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame is quite impressive. It includes legends like Arnold "Red" Auerbach, Bill Russell, Robert Parish, Larry Bird, Dominque Wilkins, and Kevin McHale.
6. They have won 8 consecutive NBA Championships from 1959-1966, and 17 NBA Championships in total, tied with the Los Angeles Lakers.
7. The Celtics have had many well-known players over the years, and their roster has featured some of the best players in the NBA - just to name a few: Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Paul Pierce and many more.
8. The Celtics have had a total of 14 owners since 1946, including the present owner Wyc Grousbeck.
9. The Celtics are part of the original Basketball League, which formed back in 1946 when there were around six teams that formed this league. By 1950, when the franchise joined the league officially, there were around 14 teams total to compete within it.
10. Despite being one of the founding members of the NBA (1946), the team has had ONLY 5 General Managers.
11. Bill Russell is the only person in the history of the NBA to win 11 NBA Championships. The most titles for any athlete in a North American league have been won by Bill Russell and Henri Richard of the National Hockey League. He is the only black player and coach in NBA history.
12. Larry Bird was selected by the Celtics with the sixth overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft. He is regarded by most former and current players as one of the top 10 players to ever play in the NBA and one of the top 5 greatest shooters.
13. The main color scheme that they currently use is dark green with white trim.
14. The team is currently led by young superstar Jason Tatum.
There are many other facts about Boston Celtics that we didn't cover here, but we hope the ones listed above helped you. Also, if you want to check out other basketball teams, then you can do that by visiting our pages such as facts about Los Angeles Lakers.