The Boston Celtics are an American professional basketball team and one of the most well-known franchises in the NBA. If you’re a fan of the sport, you’ve likely heard about this team before, as they’ve been around for quite some time. They currently play their home games at TD Garden in Boston and compete in the Atlantic Division (along with Toronto Raptors, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, and Philadelphia 76ers) within the East Conference.
Boston is one of the world’s greatest sports cities, with the Boston Celtics leading the way.
In this article, we’ll look at some interesting facts about the Boston Celtics, so if you’re curious to learn more about them, you should definitely read on.
14 Interesting Facts about the Boston Celtics
1. The Boston Celtics were founded in 1946.
2. The majority owner of the team is Wyc Grousbeck. Wyc and his group purchased the Boston Celtics for $360 million in 2002. Today, the team is worth an estimated 3.2 billion dollars USD.
3. The Boston Celtics’ first game was played in 1946 against the Providence Steamrollers in a losing effort of 53 – 59.
4. The team has helped develop many future NBA stars, including Larry Bird, one of their most well-known players. The Celtics won their first championship in 1957 – led by the legendary Bill Russell and hall of Famer coach Red Auerbach.
5. The list of Celtics players that have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame is quite impressive. It includes legends like Arnold “Red” Auerbach, Bill Russell, Robert Parish, Larry Bird, Dominque Wilkins, and Kevin McHale.
6. They have won 8 consecutive NBA Championships from 1959-1966 and 17 NBA Championships in total, tied with the Los Angeles Lakers.
7. The Celtics have had many well-known players over the years, and their roster has featured some of the best players in the NBA – to name a few: Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Paul Pierce and many more.
8. The Celtics have had 14 owners since 1946, including the present owner Wyc Grousbeck.
9. The Celtics are part of the original Basketball League, which formed in 1946 when around six teams formed this league. By 1950, when the franchise officially joined the league, around 14 teams were competing.
10. Despite being one of the founding members of the NBA (1946), the team has had ONLY 5 General Managers.
11. Bill Russell is the only person in the history of the NBA to win 11 NBA Championships. Bill Russell and Henri Richard of the National Hockey League have won the most titles for any athlete in a North American league. In addition, he is the only black player and coach in the history of the NBA.
12. The Celtics selected Larry Bird with the sixth overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft. He is regarded by most former and current players as one of the top 10 players to ever play in the NBA and one of the top 5 greatest shooters.
13. The main color scheme that they currently use is dark green with white trim.
14. The team is currently led by young superstar Jason Tatum.
We should have covered many other facts about Boston Celtics here, but we hope the ones listed above helped you. Also, if you want to check out other basketball teams, you can visit our pages, such as facts about Los Angeles Lakers.