Facebook is a social media website and online cloud storage service that connects people with friends and others who share common interests. The service allows users to communicate with their friends, family members, classmates from school, co-workers from work, and even people they have never met before. Facebook also offers users an opportunity to express themselves through third-party apps on Facebook such as games or applications.
The company’s primary source of revenue is Advertising. As of 2021, Facebook has over 70,000 employees worldwide.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT FACEBOOK
- Company Name: Facebook
- Parent Company: Meta Platforms
- Founded By: Mark Zuckerberg, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, Eduardo Saverin, Chris Hughes
- Date Founded: February 4, 2004
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, U.S.
- Estimated Number of employees: 71,970
- Area served: Worldwide (blocked in some countries)
13 Facts About Facebook
1. Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg and his friends/schoolmates Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, and Chris Hughes in 2004 when he was a sophomore at Harvard University.
2. The company’s name is based on the colloquialism “book face,” which refers to “having an attractive face.”
3. Users can upload photos, videos, and links through the service. They can also write on each other’s walls and send private messages.
4. Facebook allows its users to create profiles that include their names, profile photos, birthday details, hometowns, and interests.
5. The company initially offered its users a limited number of free profiles until restricted to “friends of friends” (Fridays).
6. Facebook is headquartered in Menlo Park, California.
7. Facebook started with those registered on Harvard’s New Student Orientation Center website and launched in September 2003.
8. Facebook’s initial website was called “Thefacebook” and launched in February 2004.
9. The website’s name changed to just “Facebook” two months after
10. Facebook also owns WhatsApp and Instagram, 2 of the most popular social media applications worldwide.
11. The company’s initial funding came from PayPal founder Peter Thiel, Yahoo co-founder Andrew McCollum, and Napster co-founder Sean Parker.
12. Today, Facebook is the 2nd most visited website in the world after Google.
13. The company has an estimated value of more than $320 billion.
Commentary: With more than 2 billion active users worldwide, Facebook has become the world’s largest social network.