The city of Los Angeles is known for “lights, camera, action”. Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world. Most of the biggest celebrities in the world live there. Some of the biggest movies and shows ever produced have come from “Hollywood”.
Below are 20 interesting and cool facts about Los Angeles.
1. Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US behind New York City.
2. Before the American-Mexican war of 1847, Los Angeles was called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles sobre El Río Porciúncula.
3. LA has a population of around 4 million people and is the most populous city in the state of California.
4. LA has several nicknames: The City of Angels, LA LA Land, “the city of distractions” or simply LA.
5. Downtown Los Angeles has the second highest number of government buildings behind Washington D.C.
6. The U.S. Bank Tower is the tallest tower in California and one of the tallest i the United States.
7. Parking is very hard to find Los Angeles! Believe it or not, they are more cars than people.
8. The Hollywood sign was only meant to stay up for 1 year as an advertisement for a real estate company. It used to be called Hollywoodland.
9. The Hollywood Walk of Fame has over 2500 stars.
10. Los Angeles has the highest number of female entrepreneurs in the US.
11. Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world.
12. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the 5th busiest airport in the world.
13. Los Angeles is home to 2 NBA (National Basketball Association) teams, and they share the same building: The Staples Center. They are the only 2 teams in the NBA that share a city and the same arena.
14. Los Angeles and the State of California used to be part of Mexico.
15. The fact above is reflected in the very high number of Mexicans who call LA home.
16. LA hosted the Summer Olympics two times; 1932 and 1984. The only city in the US to do so. It will also host the Summer Olympics in 2028.
17. An estimated 200 languages are spoken in LA and people from over 130 countries live here. So LA is very ethnically diverse.
18. Los Angeles is blessed with beautiful weather and Palm trees but beware about the silent killer underground – Earthquakes. Regular seismic tremors/activity is normal. There are thousands of earthquakes every year in the state of California.
19. As you would expect, LA is a younger than most cities in the US, the average age is 35 years old.
20. A lot of people don’t know this but LA sits on a lot of oil. It has the 3rd biggest oil field.