Miami is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. When someone mentions Miami, the picture that immediately comes to mind are the following: Sunshine, beaches, and palm trees.
Due to its sub tropical climate and location, it has a huge Latin influence… so much so, that you would think you are in the Caribbean or a Latin American country, which is why Miami is the Capital of Latin America. Many Cubans, Dominicans, and other people from the Caribbean and Latin speaking countries call Miami home.
Here are 17 Cool Facts About Miami
1. Even though its not the largest city, Miami has the largest metro in the state of Florida.
2. The city of Miami has an estimated population of 471,218.
3. It is the 6th most densely populated major city in the US.
4. The name Miami comes from the name Mayaimi, a tribe of Native American people that lived in the present Miami around the 16th and 17th century.
5. As beautiful as Miami Beach is, it is mostly man-made. The beaches frequently have to be replenished with new sand
6. Another very interesting fact; Miami is the only city in the United States of America that was founded by a female. Her name was Julia Tuttle – often referred to as “The Mother of Miami”.
7. Summers are very humid.
8. Miami has the world’s largest collection of art deco architecture.
9. Even though its not official, Miami is bilingual; Both English and Spanish are widely spoken, signs everywhere are in both languages, books, etc.
10. Miami is the only American city surrounded by national parks; the Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park. The city has over 800 parks… that is a lot of parks.
12. Cruise capital of the world; Miami is home to the biggest cruise ship port in the world.
13. Miami is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world; it sees at least 14 million tourists every single year. This ranks it 2nd in the US only behind New York City.
14. The Miami International Airport is one of the largest employers in the city.
15. Miami has the warmest winter in the United States.
16. Due to its climate, Miami attracts the most New Yorkers, some 22,000 of them move to Miami every year.
17. Burger King first opened up in Miami (1954).