The land of Cowboys, big everything (houses, cars, etc), oil, guns, country music and so much more. Texas is one of the top 5 most important states in the US. We absolutely love Texas and we had a great time learning about Texas and creating this article.
17 Weird, Amazing and Interesting Facts About Texas
1. Texas is the second most populated states in the US with a population of just over 28,995,881. Behind only California.
2. The majority of the population are concentrated in the States of Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio.
3. Texas owns all of its land outright 100%; meaning the federal government in Washington cannot do anything in Texas without the State’s permission.
4. The state of Texas has a nickname: The Lone Star State.
5. The largest city in Texas is Houston, which is the 4th largest city in the United States.
6. Rodeo is the official sport in Texas.
7. Texas is huge… for context; it is larger than all the countries in Europe.
8. A lot of military bases in the US are located in Texas.
9. Six countries have ruled over the state of Texas: France, Mexico, Spain, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America
10. The capital city is Austin.
11. Texas is rich. Texas has the second largest GDP in the United States at 1.8 trillion dollars. That is more than the GDP of Canada (1.7 trillion).
12. The State has neighbors; it shares borders with New Mexico, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas… and also the Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Chihuahua, Nuevo León, and Coahuila.
13. The name Texas comes from Hasinai Indian word tejas. Tejas means friends.
14. The lightning whelk is Texas’ official state shell.
15. The popular drink Dr Pepper was invented in Texas back in 1885.
16. Texas is the only state in the US with its own power grid.
17. The State Capitol building in Texas is the largest state capital in the entire country.