New York City is the most populous city in the United States and has one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world. It is also home to many famous landmarks such as Times Square, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have the theme parks like Orlando or Tampa, but New York City has endless things for kids to do.
Check out some incredible fun facts about New York City for kids below.
1. It is home to the largest subway system in the United States and one of the largest in the world.
2. Located in the heart of Coney Island, Deno’s Wonder Wheel was built in 1920 by Eccentric Ferris Wheel Company using 100% Bethlehem steel. The Wonder Wheel was created/invented by Charles Hermann. The Deno’s Wonder Wheel is now just over 100 years old as of this writing.
3. With over 78,000 reviews on Google by visitors worldwide, the Statue of Liberty was given by France to America as a gift on July 4, 1884.
It is one of the U.S.’s most important landmarks. The statue represents a Roman Goddess.
4. The city has over 80 museums, including the MoMA- Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Guggenheim Museum, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, and the American Museum of Natural History, among others.
5. Frederic Auguste Bartholdi of France designed the statue of liberty.
6. Many famous people like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (former NBA basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers), Sean Combs Puff Daddy (singer, businessman), Theodore Roosevelt (former U.S. President), Claire Danes (actress), and Tupac Shakur (rapper) were born here.
7. Despite being one of the world’s most famous cities, New York City has never hosted the Summer Olympics. That is a surprising fact about New York City for many people.
8. The Statue of Liberty gets its green color from oxidized copper on the exterior of the metal skin.
9. New York was named after the Duke of York of the United Kingdom.
10. The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City has over 1.5 million art pieces in its collection. It is the largest museum in the U.S.
11. There are over 200 neighborhoods in the city.
12. Times Square is the most visited place in New York City.
13. Central Park is the most popular park in the city and is an excellent place for kids to spend the day.
14. In reality, Manhattan is not a square but a rectangle, and it has an official area called the borough of Manhattan. Therefore, Harlem is located in Manhattan.
15. New York has more restaurants per person than any other city in the United States.
16. There are over 8 million people that live and work in and around New York City, with nearly 5 million of them commuting into and out of it every day to work or school.