Houston is the most populous city in Texas and the fourth-most city in the United States. It is home to more than 2 million people, and as part of the region known as the Greater Houston Area, it includes several smaller cities. Houston was incorporated on June 5, 1837. Houston is the economic hub of the state of Texas and is one of the most important cities in the United States by all measures. It is a fun, clean, and beautiful city with lots of things to do, and it symbolizes what an American being is all about.
16 educational, interesting, fun facts about Houston
1. The city was named after Sam Houston (1859 – 1861), an American soldier and politician who served as the first and third president of the Republic (State) of Texas.
2. Although Houston was named after Sam, two business guys founded it; Augustus Chapman Allen and John Kirby Allen.
3. Houston is the largest city in the state of Texas and the fourth largest in the United States after Chicago. It is a major international city.
4. Houston is home to the largest port in the coastal United States and the sixth-busiest port in the world. The Port of Houston is located on the Gulf of Mexico at the mouth of the Houston Ship Channel. Almost 200 private companies make up the Greater Port of Houston.
5. It’s a humid subtropical climate, which means it’s hot and humid all year round. During July, temperatures are always over 90°F (32° C)
6. Houston was the first word Neil Armstrong uttered when he arrived on the moon.
7. The city is the 3rd most diverse city in the US, behind Los Angeles and New York City. Over 145 languages are spoken here.
8. With about 54 medicine-based facilities, the Texas Medical Center in Houston is one of the best in the world, and the staff are incredible. Over 7 million people visit the centre every year.
9. The city has its theme song, “Houston”, by Dean Martin, who also sang about Las Vegas.
10. Houston has more than 10,000 restaurants, making it one of the best culinary scenes in the entire country.
11. The Space Center Houston is a science museum focusing on space exploration. They also have a full-scale rocket and a two-story astronaut training room which visitors can use, 400 space artefacts and more. It is a must-visit if you are in town.
12. The city is home to the Houston Zoo, which covers thousands of acres and houses over 5,000 animals. It is one of the largest in the US.
13. The Houston Galleria is the largest city mall in Houston and the 9th largest in the United States. This thing is enormous!
14. The Houston Rodeo is the largest rodeo show in the world.
15. The Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of the country’s most diverse and largest natural history museums.
16. Houston is also home to the NBA’s Houston Rockets, the Houston Texans of the NFL, the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball and many other teams… so Houstonians love their sports.
We hope you enjoyed these 16 Facts About Houston. In addition, you should bookmark this page for your resources because we constantly update it with new information.