Kids love the city of Orlando and for many good reasons. Orlando is home to many fun and great theme parks, such as Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, Gatorland, Walt Disney World, Epcot, and the Orlando Eye (The Wheel at ICON Park).
Miami is a coastal city in Florida in the United States. As of 2019, the city had a population of 467,963 and a metropolitan area population of around 6,166,488. It is the county seat and also includes Miami-Dade County. In addition to being one of America's top tourist destinations, Miami is also home to many of America's richest people who have moved there from cities like Los Angeles and New York City. The city is also well known for its art and culture scene. Miami is also famous for its Caribbean like vibes with the beaches, sunshine, palm trees, and vibrant nightlife. It also has a very strong Latin influence.
In this article, you will learn 19 fun and interesting facts about Miami
1. Even though it is not the largest city, Miami has the largest metro in the state of Florida.
2. The city of Miami has an estimated population of 467,963.
3. Miami has a population density of 11,135.9 people per square miles.
4. The city of Miami is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world with more than 600 different languages spoken.
5. The name Miami comes from the name Mayaimi, a tribe of Native American people that lived in the present Miami around the 16th and 17th century.
6. As beautiful as Miami Beach is, it is mostly man-made. The beaches frequently have to be replenished with new sand.
7. Another very interesting fact; Miami is the only city in the United States of America that was founded by a female. Her name was Julia Tuttle – often referred to as “The Mother of Miami”.
8. According to the 2010 Census, over 50 percent of people living in Miami are Hispanic or Latinos.
9. Summers are very humid. In fact, Miami is known as the "humid subtropical climate" capital of the world. The average duration of sunshine per year in Miami is around 320 days.
11. Miami has the world’s largest collection of art deco architecture.
12. Even though it's not official, Miami is bilingual; Both English and Spanish are widely spoken, signs everywhere are in both languages, books, etc.
13. Miami is the only American city surrounded by national parks; the Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park. The city has over 800 parks… that is a lot of parks.
14. The cruise capital of the world; Miami is home to the biggest and busiest cruise ship port in the world.
15. In 2011, Miami was ranked the most popular global city destination for international travellers and also considered one of the top tourist destinations in North America.
16. Most people visiting Miami come from Canada, Germany, England, France, Switzerland, Belgium and Japan. But excluding Americans migrating from other States, most people who move to Miami from their respective countries come from Latin America, such as Cuba, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Brazil, El Salvador, Ecuador, and many others.
17. The shopping is wonderful in South Beach; you can find many designer shops like Gucci, Chanel and Dior.
18. Salsa dancing is a type of dance that originated in Latin America and Cuba and has become part of the culture in Miami.
19. Burger King first opened up in Miami (1954).