Located in the beautiful sunny city of Miami, the Miami Heat are one of the most successful franchises in NBA history. They play in the Eastern Conference (in the Southeast) and are led by Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo. With Heat fever gripping Miami, it’s essential to learn more about this prestigious franchise and its history.
Check out these interesting 15 facts about the Miami Heat.
1. The team was founded in 1988. Like most expansion teams, the team was terrible on the court, only making the playoffs twice in their first eight years, losing both times.
2. Team owner is Micky Arison, Carnival Cruise Lines Chairman. He purchased the franchise in 1995. Carnival is the world’s largest travel leisure company.
3. Micky Arison has an estimated net worth of $5.5 billion.
4. Team president is Pat Riley, and the current coach is Erik Spoelstra.
5. The team’s colors are black, red, yellow and white.
6. The Miami Heat play their home games at the FTX Arena (formerly American Airlines Arena) in Miami, Florida.
7. The current franchise value of the team is 2 billion U.S. dollars.
8. The Heat have won 3 NBA Championships (2006, 2012, 2013), 6 Eastern Conference titles (2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2020) and 14 Division titles. So, they are one of the NBA’s most successful franchises.
9. The Heat have retired several jersey numbers – (1, 3, 10, 23, 32, 33). They retired Michael Jordan’s #23, even though he has never played for the Heat, out of respect (several teams have done the same).
10. The Heat have had some of the best players in the NBA play for them, individuals such as the great Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Shaquille O’Neal, Chris Bosh, Alonzo Mourning, Ray Allen, Udonis Haslem, Tim Hardaway and many more.
11. The Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat, and Boston Celtics make up the Miami Heat rivalry.
12. A 66-16 record in 2013 was Miami’s best season, and the worst was in 2008 when they finished the season with a 15-67 record.
13. The Heat is one of the few teams in NBA history to win back-to-back championships in 2012 and 2013.
14. During the 2012 – 2013 NBA season, the Miami Heat won a staggering 27 games in a row, making it the 3rd longest winning streak in the history of the NBA.
15. LeBron James has four regular season MVPs, two of them again during his team in Miami.