George Washington was the first American president and the leader of the American Revolution. His life spanned from 1732 to 1799, during which he served as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army and was one of America’s Founding Fathers.
He was a military genius who was a key commander in leading America to victory over Great Britain in the Revolution. The capital of the United States, Washington D.C., is named after him, along with monuments, streets, institutions, and other things.
Take a peek at these fascinating quotes from George Washington.
Check out these 14 Iconic Quotes By George Washington
1. The time is near at hand, which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
2. Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.
3. It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.
4. The Constitution is the guide that I never will abandon.
5. Be courteous to all but intimate with few, and let those few be well-tried before you give them your confidence.
6. If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent, we may be led, like sheep, to the slaughter.
7. It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company.
8. To be prepared for War is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.
9. Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable, procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.
10. My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, War, banished from the earth.
11. Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.
12. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for War.
13. Bad seed is a robbery of the worst kind: for your pocketbook not only suffers by it, but your preparations are lost, and a season passes away unimproved.
14. Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.