He served as the 18th president of the United States from 1869 to 1877. Born in Ohio, Ulysses S. Grant (April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885) was an American military officer and politician. Under Grant’s leadership, the Justice Department was created, and he worked with the Radical Republicans to protect African Americans during Reconstruction. During the American Civil War, he led the Union Army to victory as its Commanding General.
Check out these 18 Inspirational Quotes By Ulysses S. Grant
1. The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.
2. I have never advocated war except as a means of peace.
3. In every battle, there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.
4. The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.
5. Everyone has his superstitions. One of mine has always been when I started to go anywhere, or to do anything, never to turn back or to stop until the thing intended was accomplished.
6. Hold fast to the Bible. To the influence of this Book, we are indebted for all the progress made in true civilization and to this we must look as our guide in the future.
7. I would suggest the taxation of all property equally, whether church or corporation, exempting only the last resting place of the dead and possibly, with proper restrictions, church edifices.
8. I appreciate the fact, and am proud of it, that the attentions I am receiving are intended more for our country than for me personally.
9. If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens, there will be no turning back.
10. I know only two tunes: one of them is ‘Yankee Doodle’, and the other isn’t.